Friday, November 19, 2010

Leisure

When I hear the word leisure, I think about recreation and relaxation. Moreover, I think about activities that relieve stress. I relieve stress by working up a sweat through playing basketball or going for a run. Other ways I accomplish leisure is through taking a nap or watching a movie. Essentially, I consider leisure any activity where I am able to temporarily alleviate everyday stresses and recharge my body or mind. The length or specific way I achieve this goal varies depending on the amount of time I have free; as well as, the intensity of the stress I have.

During my time in Italy, I have noticed that Italians’ leisure activities are different then what I consider typical. Generally, an Americans’ leisure activity requires the newest technology but an Italians’ leisure activity does not. With their free time, Italians meet friends for lunch or espresso; they go to the park and spend time with loved ones or just walk. Rome is set up for its’ people to do these activities. Piazzas are located all over enabling people a common meeting ground to relax with friends.

Recently I visited the Borghese gardens where I attempted to appreciate Italian leisure activities. First, I had a sandwich and espresso. Then I walked all around the park admiring statues and nature. Next, I rented a bike and rode around the park for an hour. I ended my day of leisure by laying out a blanket and taking a nap under a tree. As I was enjoying the latter, I realized how clear my mind was.

Do the Italians know something about leisure that we do not? I do not think that they know something we do not rather they remember something we forgot. Often caught up with materialistic desires or money-oriented goals, we forget to stop and take that deep breath and appreciate everything we have as well as the beauty of life. My view of leisure hasn’t dramatically changed; however, I would not be shocked if I wake up on a Saturday and walk to the park for a day of relaxation. I am going to put emphasis on spending time with my family and friends when I return home.

4 comments:

  1. I think its incredible that if you were in a huge city such as L.A or New York, you would see tons of people with the newest technology. They would use the technology in their 'leisure' time, even though that could be in central park. I believe leisure here and in the United States is very different. However, each country could learn a tad about each cultures leisure. Mixing the outdoors with technology and excersize could be a wonderful compromise of leisure!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am glad that you enjoyed your time at the Borghese gardens and were able to clear your mind. I agree that leisure is time that is meant for the human body to recharge after enduring so much stress. However, I do think that Italians and Americans do have similar ideas of leisure or similar places where they meet with friends. I know that at home my friends and I meet at Starbucks for coffee and tea and we use that time to relax and catch up. Italians use cafes instead of Starbucks. And to me the general idea behind an Italian piazza is similar to the idea of the American mall.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree with you about how the Italians spend their time on leisure. I think they are much more relaxed here, and I also noticed they are not as worried about technology here. People don't need to have the latest iPod and not nearly as many people seem to use their phones in public compared to the U.S.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think your right about Americans having a different form of leisure. I think it differs more from a male aspect of it though than female. Males in America do like to spend their leisure doing a sporting event or something active where Italians you dont see as much. From the female side though I think its similiar, we both like to sit and talk with friends or shop

    ReplyDelete