Monday, November 29, 2010

The Church a Roman Institution?

Is the Catholic Church a Roman institution or does it have influence worldwide? Living in Rome for the last six weeks has given me the chance to observe the strength of the church in Rome. The power and brotherhood of the Church is undeniable. Every area has a church or basilica located within it. Also, the church has a hand in everything that goes on in Rome. I am taken aback sometimes when I see the portrait of the Pope on things such as shot glasses; however, the church operates like a business. The Church is fully aware of the desire that members of the church have to visit historical locations like St. Peter’s Basilica. They capitalize by being involved with everything including these souvenirs that tourists seek. The question is does the Church extend outside of Rome.

I get the impression that people in Italy would agree that that the Church is a Roman institution. While attending the Papal audience I had an encounter with an Italian woman. She yelled at me to go back where I came from because I was in her way. I explained to her that if she came just to see the Pope then she does not understand what the catholic church is about. I feel a lot of Italians fall victim of the way the Church operates in Italy like a business. We are not spoiled with the Church’s headquarters located in are country like Romans are. We focus on the values of what Jesus wanted us to have opposed to being a part of the Church.

I have always felt the Church was a worldwide organization. I was brought up in a Catholic household, and completed my education at a Catholic school. Of course Rome was always looked to as the heart of the Church since the Pope is there, but I did not feel any less a part of the church living in Ohio. The Church is always involved in things such as giving food to the less fortunate which is a core value of the church. Also, I remember countless speeches at mass by my priest to donate money among other financial statements relating to the Church as a worldwide community.Attending the Papal audience was an amazing experience. I feel even stronger now that the church is a worldwide association. There were people from all over the world in attendance. The Pope speaks ten different languages, which shows that the church must branch out all over the world. The speech alone was read in many languages. Every time the Pope said his statement in a new language there would be uproar from the people who understood. The environment was amazing; the enthusiasm of the people in attendance while waiting and during the event was unbelievable. They sang anthems and played music; it felt like I was at a rave. One gaze around the audience and one would see the effect the church has all across the world.

The Catholic Church has always been feared by the world. The particular fear is that the Pope will call upon its clergy which is located around the world and the people will do the Pope’s bidding despite the best interests of the country the person lives. This fear shows that the influence of the church is great worldwide or there would be no issue. This historical fear coupled with my experiences through my life as a Catholic leaves me no doubt that the church is a worldwide institution.

2 comments:

  1. Trevor,

    I agree with your comments about American Catholics not being spoiled by having the Vatican in our country. I too feel that many Italians figure themselves to be more Catholic or religious just becasue they are close to the Pope and to Vatican City. Also, I agree that they lose sight of the morals of the Catholic faith; focusing too much on idolizing the Church.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree that the church operates like a business. However, I am still amused when I see the Pope. Although some may think he will over take the religion I think he is a great figure in understanding the Catholic religion and representing it too.

    ReplyDelete